Nowadays, the marketplace is flooded with counterfeit products made of non-woven fabrics or compound melt-blown fabrics. Nobody can distinguish the filtration rate of melt-blown materials by naked eyes alone, which requires professional machine inspection. Melt blown fabric manufacturers can provide you some guides to identifying the fabric. But you can first make an initial judgment through the following identification methods:
(1) Cannot light a fire
(2) Tear up inert electricity and can be adsorbed on 90 ° upright surface of glass or steel
(3) Looking at the fabric texture, first determine whether it is a melt-blown cloth. You can identify the melt-blown fabric by the tensile toughness, light transmittance, and size of the web, whether the quality is good or bad, but the naked eye cannot see the specific efficiency.
Meltblown fabric parameter index
The main structure of the face mask is a three-layer non-woven fabric or SMS structure.
The non-woven face mask structure
- The inner S-layer is ordinary non-woven fabric, primarily for moisture absorption;
- The outer S-layer is a non-woven fabric with a waterproof treatment, mainly used to isolate the liquid sprayed by the patient mouth and has the effect of preventing spray;
- The middle M-layer uses melt-blown non-woven fabric after electret treatment, which can filter bacterial suspended particles and is the essential core layer.
Meltblown fabric is usually known as the “heart” of the face mask. Its primary raw material is polypropylene, a film composed of several criss-cross fibers loaded in random directions. The fiber diameter ranges between 0.5 to 10 microns, and the fiber diameter is around one-third of the human hair diameter.
Melt-blown fabric fiber diameter
When you are looking at melt-blown fabric, you will be a bit puzzled? With such a large gap in the melt-blown fabric, how do you filter diseases in the environment?
Take the new coronavirus as the best example. Though the new coronavirus’s size is tiny, about 100 nanometers that are 0.1 micrometers, the virus cannot exist freely. Its transmission ways mainly include secretions and droplets while sneezing.
Second, the melt blown fabric manufacturers produce a fiber filter. When the droplets comprising the virus are close to the melt-blown fabric, they also electrostatically adsorbed on the surface and do not penetrate.
Although the S-layer and M-layer’s raw materials of the melt blown non-woven face mask are all polypropylene-specific resins. There are some differences in the production process of the unique materials for melt blown fabric and other non-woven fabric materials. For instance, the M-layer has a modified plastic.
- S-layer that is spunbond layer: special resin for polypropylene sent to a non-woven fabric factory first and then produced S-layer. After that, the material sent to the face mask manufacturing factory
- M-layer is a meltblown layer: special resin for polypropylene, first sent to modified the plastics factory to produce unique material for melt-blown cloth. Later, sent to melt-blown non-woven fabric factory to make M-layer then at the end sent to mask factory